A new open-source tool is making waves in the Mac community by helping users reclaim valuable storage space taken up by Apple's AI models. Called "RemoveMacAI," the tool disables Apple Intelligence on macOS 27, removes its downloaded models, and prevents them from being downloaded again.It’s not exactly the black and white video of the man hurling a sledge hammer into the giant screen to free the docile viewers from their captivity. But the interesting thing is, Apple didn’t make AI optional. You will accept it if you accept iOS 27, and it will chew up 12GB of memory whether you want it or not. You want 🤖, don’t you? Or don’t you?
With the Apple models gone, you lose all Siri-related AI features, Writing Tools, Genmoji, Image Playground, ChatGPT integration, summaries, smart replies, inline predictions, Photos Clean Up, Spatial Photos, and Xcode predictive completion. Even so, plenty of users appear happy to make the sacrifice to free up space, especially on non-upgradeable Macs with 256GB of storage. The profile reportedly persists across updates. And if you're wondering, dictation still works.Personally, I can live without all that. And appreciate the space removing it would free up. I barely use my Mac anymore, and while my phone includes Apple apps I don’t need, I don’t feel the need to clean them off, either.
But still, it would be nice to have the choice, especially with the amount of space AI takes up. I know it’s supposed to make us all happier and more productive and feel personally fulfilled…
… but what if it doesn’t? What if it’s the gift we didn’t ask for, and don’t want?
One could charitably say Apple is just trying to keep up with the Joneses.Translation: Sociopath elitist tech fascists who think they’re creating God and believe democracy is the enemy want us to finance our own demise to let them take over the world. https://t.co/gZv5TL6zU2 https://t.co/U1hygCjO4T
— The Tennessee Holler (@TheTNHoller) October 5, 2026
From time to time, I'm glad I was priced out of considering going Mac at the start of it. Not only has it saved me thousands of dollars, it saved me from being stuck by habit into this kind of thing. Glad I switched to Linux when I did, too. it makes avoiding this kind of thing even easier.
ReplyDeleteSam Altman is criminally insane. And extremely stupid.