... was setting adolescent males as the standard of “cool.”This was also an issue in the early 2000s when it was considered cool to be excessively ironic, detached, and cynical about everything. Good faith and sincerity are often underrated. https://t.co/pcvqJg5oDR
— derek guy (@dieworkwear) September 14, 2026
Over 60 years later, their sheer numbers are still casting a shadow we haven’t stepped out from under. It’s why Trump and MAGA are still in control. And why they won’t be much longer.
MAGA has worn that out, too.
I was just telling someone about how, when I was a Sophomore in high school I finally decided that I had enough money to buy my own going back to school clothes and how I was determined to not look like a farm boy whose mother bought his clothes so I bought what I thought were stylish clothes from a store in the city two towns away from my small town.
ReplyDeleteWhen I found out I had chosen clothes that weren't fashionable and that they cost more than unstylish ones, it was the end of my experiment with being cool. It saved me from a lot of the worst styles of the 60s onward. What makes me wish so many of the photos of that era were in black and white so at least the garish colors weren't apparent.
I haven't missed it.