Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Otter will sleep with the fishes.....

"List ten songs that you are currently digging...it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to."

You really want to know?

Or, rather: do I really want to tell you? [I've come back to add a few explanatory comments in brackets, in case you're noticing]

"Elvis is Everywhere", by Mojo Nixon

"The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun", by Julie Brown

"What Wondrous Love is This?", by Anonymous Four

"The Origin of Fire" (the whole album), by Anonymous Four (yeah, I broke the rules; but Otter started it; and I'll break another before I'm through)[songs by Hildgeard von Bingen]

"Hurt", by Johnny Cash

"I Wish I Could Forget You", by Sondheim (perf. by Mandy Patinkin)

"Pleasant Little Kingdom/Too Many Mornings", by Sondheim (perf. by Mandy Patinkin; same album. One lead to the other, and now I'm hooked again on both).

"The Great Selchie of Schule Skerry", by Judy Collins

"Golden Apples of the Sun", by Judy Collins

"Ordinary Town", by Dave Carter and Tracey Grammer

"Beim Schlafengehen", from the Four Last Songs, by Strauss (perf. Kiri Te Kanawa)[Okay, le tme explain this, so I don't seem quite so NYT-ish elitist. This is the song used in "The Year of Living Dangerously," when Mel Gibson's character "turns" on "Billy," and as Mel leaves the music comes up with Dame Te Kanawa and Strauss and the strings and...well, it still brings tears to me eyes. I'm always "digging" this one.

"Gymnopedies", by Erik Satie [actually, I like to play these on the piano. About the only things I can still play, though I aspire to Bach again, someday]

Ten, right? Well, went to eleven there. Good enough. And the curse is broken here. Besides, this is a dead end. Who could I send it on to? Well, left rev., of course, still has her shot. We wait in patient anticipation....

1 comment:

  1. I found your weblog website on google and verify a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the excellent operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for forward to studying more from you in a whil…

    ReplyDelete