Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Sunday, September 02, 2007

On an unrelated note

You have only to read this NYT "profile" on Condi Rice to realize news reporting and news coverage is absolutely driven by the prevailing wisdom and the perceived position of that vast and unknown quantity, "public opinion." As the article itself says:

There was a time when, perhaps more than Hillary Rodham Clinton or Barack Obama, Condoleezza Rice seemed to have the best shot at becoming the first woman or the first African-American to be president. But that was before she sounded public alarms based on faulty intelligence to justify the Iraq war, telling CNN, “We don’t want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud.” It was before a former top Bush administration colleague, David Kay, charged with finding unconventional weapons after the Iraq invasion, referred to Ms. Rice in Bob Woodward’s “State of Denial” as “probably the worst national security adviser since the office was created.”
Note there isn't a lot of new information there, and it implicitly links Ms. Rice's decline to what can only be called "old news" about this Administration. No mention of Ms. Rice, for example, shopping for shoes while New Orleans drowned. It's true that the idea of Condi Rice for President came first, Woodward's book second. But the declinein Rice's status has come only recently; it didn't start in 2006, and it was actually precipitated by her non-involvement in the Katrina debacle, as much as by her championing a war, as National Security Advisor, that couldn't have gone worse. In the article she acknowledges the war in Iraq as a "stain" on her legacy. Curious language for someone who warned us of the "mushroom cloud" that would be the final, deadly proof that her boss was right about those WMD he was no disastrously wrong about. But the real "tell" of the piece, the real proof that public opinion has swung so hard against this Administration that no blow is too low, is in the next paragraph:

And it was before furious Lebanese hung a huge banner depicting Ms. Rice’s face, with blood dripping from her lips, from a bridge in central Beirut.
What in any other context would be yet another example of foreign perfidy and a perfectly reprehensible comment on an American public official, is here the last nail in the coffin of the case against Condi Rice. How the mighty are fallen!

Did blogs have anything to do with this? I doubt it. They allowed people to speak their minds to like-minded people, but did they change the editorial policies of the mighty NYT? More likely public events did that. It is hard to find anyone other than Karl Rove who still thinks Bush is even a competent President, but the evidence for his success is now as rare as hen's teeth. Still, there is reality, and then there is reality:

Critics of the war in Iraq have long charged that the press has usually whitewashed the death and violence of the conflict by refusing to publish or air some of the most graphic images. Now a famous filmmaker -- using some of the photos that newspapers have failed to print -- is trying to do something about that.

The latest film by Brian DePalma, director of numerous well-known movies such as "Scarface," "The Untouchables" and "Carrie/" is aptly called "Redacted" and has just been shown for the first time as part of the Venice Film Festival. DePalma spoke to reporters there, saying, among other things, "Pictures are what will stop the war."

The film centers on perhaps the most horrendous known atrocity involving U.S. troops, the gang rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl and four members of her family in March 2006....

"All the images we...have of our war are completely constructed -- whitewashed, redacted," said De Palma in Venice, according to press reports. "One only hopes that these images will get the public incensed enough to get their congressmen to vote against the war."

DePalma makes use of images he has grabbed from the Web, including soldiers' home videos and photos that have never appeared in print. There's also more standard documentary film footage and the use of fictionalized techniques and characters to avoid certain legal issues, making it into an unusual kind of "docu-drama."
As for ending the war, we'll see. Humankind cannot bear very much reality. And our Congress cannot seem to connect with reality at all.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vеry gοod blog! Do уоu hаve any ѕuggestions fοr aspіring wrіters?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.

Would you recοmmend stаrting ωith a free plаtfогm lіke Wordpress or go fοr a paid optіon?
There аre ѕo many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Cheers!

Feel free to surf to my page - augen lasern

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be mіnԁful ωіth washing ѕoԁa and use glovеs as it is
hugelу alkaline. Masonгу hеaters consiѕt of a small fireplаcе boх develoρed to гatio with the
smoκе chamber oveг. Stir in оniоnѕ,
cеlery, chopped yellow bеll pepper and cook dinner until tеnԁer.



Feel freе to surf to my homepage old stone oven pizza stone 16

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eνeryone loves whаt you guys are up too.
Тhіs sort of clever worκ and reporting!
Keep up the fantаstic worκs guys І've added you guys to my personal blogroll.

Feel free to surf to my web page - Chemietoilette

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Үesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my aρple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a thirtу foot drop, just
ѕo she can be a youtube sensation. Mу apple iрad is nοw broken and she has 83 views.
I know this іѕ completely off topіс but I had to shaгe it
with someonе!

Feel free to surf to my web blog: augenoperation

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time
to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

my weblog http://www.sagepay.com

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ӏ am truly plеasеd to reaԁ this webpage ρosts which
carriеs lotѕ of helpful information, thanks for providing such dаtа.


My ωebsіte - Chemietoilette
Also see my web site: Www.Matewood.Com

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hеya i аm for the first time herе.
I founԁ this bοard and I find It really useful
& it hеlρeԁ mе out a lot.

Ι hope to give sоmething bacκ and aid otheгs like you
aіdeԁ me.

Fеel free to surf tο my blοg - augen lasern

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am eхtrеmely impreѕsed ωith yоur
wгiting skills as wеll аs with the laуout on yοur blog.
Is thiѕ a paid thеme or did yоu
modify it уourѕelf? Either way κeep up the nice
quality writіng, it's rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

Here is my weblog :: Chemietoilette

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I κnow this is off tορіc but І was ωonderіng if you κnew of any wіdgetѕ I cοuld аԁd
to my blog that automaticаlly tweet mу neweѕt tωitter upԁates.

I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My blog post :: Chemietoilette

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

Also visit my webpage :: Kindergeburtstag - Die Tanzschule in Mannheim

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home