Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Friday, November 30, 2007

What if they gave a War on Christmas and nobody came?



Best I can figure, that's what happened. I googled "War on Christmas" hoping to find some news about it; all I got were references from 2005. Of course, this could simply mean that "war on Christmas" is what the enemies of concerned citizens like Bill O'Reilly and John Gibson named the "battle," much like the mockery of "Political Correctness" (a term invented by conservatives to mock liberals, though no one seems to remember that, now).

Oh, wait: never mind.

So I don't know where it's going this year. Which is fine, of course; the last thing we need is another fight over whether Christmas trees are religious or secular symbols. O'Reilly is trying to stir the ashes by complaining about a city council effort in Colordao, but it's pretty weak tea, indeed. What is it about Colorado and Christmas decorations? But I wanted to point out, as the season approaches (or is already upon us, on the secular calendar. December and "Christmas" have become synonymous terms) that there's always been a "war on Christmas", and the real fight has never been over "paganism" v. Christianity, but a completely internecine battle. It's always been a fight, in America at least, between Protestants and Catholics. Not much of a fight, mind, as Catholics never had the political or social power they had in Europe; but the efforts to suppress or control or complain about Christmas, largely stem from our Puritan heritage. It was never secularists who hated "Christmas." It was conservatives, especially those who objected to the rowdiness of the celebrations. Of course, it was consumerism which tamed all of that, giving the wealthy an excuse to be generous and beneficent...with their "nuclear" family.

Which is what Christmas is really all about: family. Right, Charlie Brown? (By the way, where is the family in "A Charlie Brown Christmas"?) Good thing that show was never controversial, huh? I mean, it's a Christmas classic. I'm sure if CBS didn't air it, they'd hear from Bill O'Reilly....

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you will receive carried
out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as
exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.


Here is my website - Microsoft points

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was totally right.
This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my site Diaper rash remedies

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you
amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog site?
The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your
broadcast provided brilliant transparent idea

Take a look at my weblog; Unknown

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you're saying and
the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still
take care of to keep it smart. I can't wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific site.

Feel free to visit my weblog: Unknown

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole
lot and never manage to get anything done.

my website: Unknown

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I've had a hard time clearing my thoughts in
getting my ideas out. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems
like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just
trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?

Thank you!

My blog post Unknown

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll immediately clutch your rss feed as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me know so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

Here is my weblog; lose belly fat

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist commenting. Very well written!

Feel free to surf to my webpage: How To Lose Belly Fat

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might as well check things out.

I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.

My web-site Debhaskel.mancouch.com

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet
the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without
having side effect , people could take a signal. Will
probably be back to get more. Thanks

Look into my weblog :: unknown

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this fantastic
read!! I absolutely loved every bit of it. I have got you
book marked to check out new stuff you post…

my blog: unknown

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there are using Wordpress for your site platform?

I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own.

Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My blog pirater un compte Facebook

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home