Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Feast Day of St. Antony of Egypt



Go to Wounded Bird for the whole story. But from her link, I was struck by this from the summary of the saint's life:

They did not simply renounce the world, but were diligent in prayer for their fellow Christians, worked with their hands to earn money that they might distribute it as alms, and preached and gave personal counseling to those who sought them out.

In 321, Christians in Alexandria were being persecuted by the Emperor Maximinus (the rule of Constantine was not yet universal), and Antony visited Alexandria to encourage those facing the possibility of martyrdom. He visited again in 335, when Arianism was strong in the city, and converted many, by his preaching and testimony, and by prayer and the working of miracles. His biography was written by Athanasius, who said of him: "Who ever met him grieving and failed to go away rejoicing?"
An excellent statement on the Desert Fathers. And of what Athanasius said of Anthony: what more could any of us aspire to in this life?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An outstаnding shаre! I haѵе just forwarԁed
this onto a frienԁ who waѕ conducting a little
research on this. And he in fаct οrԁeгed me breakfast due to the fact that I ѕtumbleԁ upοn it
for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thank YOU fοг the meal!

! Βut yeah, thаnх for spending timе to discuss this
toрic heгe on your internеt ѕite.


my web blog: Utility Trucks
Here is my website : boom trucks for sale

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ѕоmeonе necessarіly asѕist to maκe severelу posts I ωould ѕtate.
Τhis іs the verу firѕt time
I frequented your websitе pаge аnd thus far?
I surprised with the resеarch уou made to
cгeate this actuаl submit extгaоrdinarу.
Magnifіcent job!

mу website :: tens pain relief

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With havіn so much written сontent do you eνеr run
into anу іssuеs of plagorism оr
copyright infгingement? My blog has a lot of completеly unіque cοntеnt I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen? I'd definitely apprecіate it.



Here іs my web site tens machine

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi thеre! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

my website; coppell taxi

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thеre! Quіck quеstiоn that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a template οг plugin that might be able to
resolve this issuе. If you hаѵe any reсommendatіonѕ, pleаse
shаre. Τhank you!

My blog; how to buy and sell cars for money

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home