Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tout autre est tout autre--Jacques Derrida



Glenn Greenwald:

French documentarians conducted an experiment where they created a faux game show -- with all the typical studio trappings -- and then instructed participants (who believed it was a real TV program) to administer electric shock to unseen contestants each time they answered questions incorrectly, with increasing potency for each wrong answer. Even as the unseen contestants (who were actors) screamed in agony and pleaded for mercy -- and even once they went silent and were presumably dead -- 81% of the participants continued to obey the instructions of the authority-figure/host and kept administering higher and higher levels of electric shock. The experiment was a replica of the one conducted in 1961 by Yale psychologist Stanley Milgram, where 65% of participants obeyed instructions from a designated authority figure to administer electric shock to unseen individuals, and never stopped obeying even as they heard excruciating screams and then silence. This new French experiment was designed to measure the added power of television to place people into submission to authority and induce them to administer torture.

... But I just watched an amazing discussion of this French experiment on Fox News. The Fox anchors -- Bill Hemmer and Martha MacCallum -- were shocked and outraged that these French people could be induced by the power of television to embrace torture.

Speaking as employees of the corporation that produced the highly influential, torture-glorifying 24, and on the channel that has churned out years worth of pro-torture "news" advocacy, the anchors were particularly astonished that television could play such a powerful role in influencing people's views and getting them to acquiesce to such heinous acts. Ultimately, they speculated that perhaps it was something unique about the character and psychology of the French that made them so susceptible to external influences and so willing to submit to amoral authority, just like many of them submitted to and even supported the Nazis, they explained. I kept waiting for them to make the connection to America's torture policies and Fox's support for it -- if only to explain to their own game show participants at home Fox News viewers why that was totally different -- but it really seemed the connection just never occurred to them. They just prattled away -- shocked, horrified and blissfully un-self-aware -- about the evils of torture and mindless submission to authority and the role television plays in all of that.emphasis added


The French still have much to teach us. The remainder of Lent may well be spent re-reading Totality and Infinity and Sartre on ethics.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The product, according to the brand, can be applied throughout the day on dry hair if one's hair is medium to very coarse. This article will explain the hair product diversion conspiracy and list ways that you can determine whether or not the beloved salon brand you saw in Walgreens last week was truly diverted merchandise or strategically placed by the powers that be. Both brands are popular in known hair salons and spas.

Also visit my page :: hair products

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have made some good points there. I checked on
the internet for more information about the issue and found most people
will go along with your views on this website.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... Louis Vuitton Outlet Online

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually one thing that I think I might never
understand. It sort of feels too complex and very vast for me.
I am having a look ahead in your subsequent put up, I will
attempt to get the grasp of it!

Here is my website :: NFL Jerseys Cheap

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I might state.
That is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far?
I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular put
up extraordinary. Wonderful job!

Review my page; Jordan Pas Cher

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are going for most excellent contents like me, simply pay a quick visit this
website daily since it gives quality contents, thanks

Feel free to visit my homepage - Cheap Jerseys

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good information. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance
(stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!


My homepage: Air Max 90

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful points altogether, you simply received a new reader.
What would you recommend in regards to your submit that you just made
a few days ago? Any certain?

my webpage :: Abercrombie and Fitch

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If some one wants to be updated with hottest technologies therefore he must be visit this
website and be up to date everyday.

my web-site Nike Air Max Pas Cher

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right.
This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how so much
time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Feel free to visit my weblog ... http://www.converseshopfr.com/

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Here is my page: Nike Air Max

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up Dear, are you actually visiting this web page regularly, if so after that you will definitely obtain good experience.

Also visit my web site :: Abercrombie and Fitch

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in
this technological globe all is accessible on net?

Also visit my web-site :: Michael Kors Canada

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning quest there. What happened after? Good luck!

My web blog: Gucci Ufficiale

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this time it appears like Expression Engine is
the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Have a look at my page www.tedxyse.com

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home