"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Because I watched the Super Bowl....


Blogger The Thought Criminal said...

Paul Harvey, I thought I was free of that New Speak Babbitt when he died. Stand by for ooze.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Rmj said...

The original really drive me up a wall. Bathos in the service of commerce is never a good mix.

This was an antidote.

10:22 AM  
Blogger rick allen said...

Ah, Paul Harvey. Such mixed feelings. Babbitry, yes, but what a stylist!

It was in the summer of 1976, I was working ten hours a day as a rodman--the surveyor's assistant--at Bradley's Bulldozer Service, in rural North Texas, and by night struggling through Being and Time, in preparation for writing a senior honors thesis in philosophy.

It was while riding down a dusty, almost-two-lane back road in a pick-up that I heard the following, in that inimitable staccato: "Martin Heidegger...German existentialist philosopher....DEAD!" That was it.

I rather doubt that Mr. Harvey had any detailed notion of "das Sein zum Tode." But I thought it was the perfect form of obituary.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home