Friday, April 08, 2016

In the news this morning....

What I'm hearing about what the Pope has announced today seems to boil down to this:

Ideas don't matter. Things don't matter. People matter.
But Doctrine still matters.

Well, he is still the head of the Church.  If he wasn't, his words wouldn't have the weight they do.  Since he is, his words are weighted down by the office he holds.

Thus do responsibility and authority balance the scales.

Adding:

His exhortation includes this admonition:

I understand those who prefer a more rigorous pastoral care which leaves no room for confusion. But I sincerely believe that Jesus wants a Church, attentive to the goodness which the Holy Spirit sows in the midst of human weakness.
Yup.  Life is messy!  Thanks be to God!

Update:  I really need to read this document, because now I'm being told the Pope said "no one can be condemned forever," a statement which has seriously far-ranging implications, even as it sounds like just a nice, benign sentiment about forgiveness.

Then again, forgiveness is the most radical thing of all.  Taken as a bland aphorism, it's almost meaningless; taken as a theological statement, it opens the gates of Hell.

Literally.

Hmmmmmm........

3 comments:

  1. I figured on waiting to let the dust settle before looking at what people said that he said. I haven't read what he said yet, but I plan on it.

    He's not going to not be The Pope. It's a question of what kind of Pope he's going to be, not that he's going to reinvent the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I like what he's saying, but then again, I'm not Catholic.

    And I wanted to link to his statement, but I couldn't get it to load. So, unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to read it. But any call for more pastoral care is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This link loaded quickly.

    The section on "irregular" situations (i.e. divorced and remarried persons) starts on page 225.

    ReplyDelete