Thursday, January 23, 2020

Lindsay Graham Seeks a Fainting Couch

He has a fit of the vapors, ah do declah!

“I love Joe Biden but I can tell you if the name was Trump, there would be a lot of questions asked,” Graham said moments before House managers were expected to argue for the impeachment of President Donald Trump. “I want the public to understand, the claim Democrats are making — there’s no there there.”

Why should we understand what you say when we can just listen to the arguments ourselves, and make up our own minds?  Or is that what you're afraid of?

According to Graham, if Trump “thought he was doing something wrong, he would probably shut up about it.”

If Trump were capable of that kind of fundamental insight we wouldn't be here today, would we?

“The president believes that the Ukraine interfered in out election,” Graham continued. “I can tell you without any doubt it was the Russians who hacked into the DNC. It was not the Ukrainians. I cannot say that there was nobody in the Ukraine that had worked with [Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort] that did a number on him. I don’t know.”

Does he also believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus?  Just because he believes something, doesn't make it so.  But if he scrambles jets to see what NORAD is supposedly tracking on Christmas Eve, then we have a problem with his 'beliefs'.

“All I can tell you is from the president’s point of view, he did nothing wrong in his mind,” the South Carolina Republican insisted.

You don't really think that's any kind of defense, do you, except maybe the Rule in M'Naghten's case? (The earliest form of insanity defense to a murder charge.  M'Nagthen was found to be insane and firmly believe, "in his mind" as the Senator put it, that he had to kill the victim or die himself.  It saved him from the death penalty, but not from being put away for the safety of society and himself.)

When it came to calling Joe and Hunter Biden as witnesses, Graham said that he preferred to “end this thing sooner rather than later.”

“I want the American people to pick the next president, not me,” he added. “And so I think the best thing to happen is to have oversight of Ukrainian potential misconduct and move on to the election. I am not going to use my vote to extend the trial.”

"I'm a U.S. Senator!  You can't make me responsible for things, too!"

“The country needs a break from this,” Graham said. “If you think there’s a whistleblower problem, we can deal with that outside impeachment.”

Uh, the whistleblower problem seems to be that the President doesn't like 'em because they report on his abuses of power as President.  How do we deal with that outside of impeachment?

No comments:

Post a Comment