Monday, September 12, 2022

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

I got into an argument on NextDoor last night about, of all things, CRT (what can I say?  The Lovely Wife went away for the weekend to stay with the Golden Child, and by Sunday night I was bored and lonely and ornery; which is how I get when I'm bored and lonely.)  It was mostly me arguing with a clown whose knowledge clearly came from Google searches, not understanding the terms she was using (like "critical praxis" and "critical theory" and, my favorite, "Hegelian/Marxism," which isn't a thing, as I had to say repeatedly).  Anyway, it sounded a lot like this:

"This is why you never got a job from Trump," wrote another. "Your ignorance of Article II powers is shocking for someone that was a prosecutor and Governor."

...

"And you know the documents are classified how, you walking comorbidity?" wrote another. "You magicked a review of the materials and any related declassification orders? Or you just believe whatever the Russia collusion hoaxers said because this time they are totes telling the truth?"

...

Another Trump fan responded even more succinctly and gave Christie a middle finger emoji.

Nobody gave me a middle finger emoji, but somebody did call me a "pompous a$$," clearly hoping to avoid the NextDoor censors.  I don't know if it worked.  Once before I was too "personal" in my comments (this time I told my opponent she/he couldn't seem to understand plain English!  I know!!!! ðŸ˜ą).  I'm wondering this morning if I've been banned (again) from NextDoor.  I actually hope so (I made the mistake of logging back in the first time I was barred; I won't make that mistake again).  It was all almost the tone, and stupidity, of this:

"They started with the college and university system. So they control college of education and journalism and law. And they've infiltrated every agency. They've infiltrated religions. They've infiltrated everything and now we're seeing the results of that."

It really wasn't any smarter than that.  Seems CRT is directly connected to Marxism through the Critical Theory of the Frankfort School (I'm just now realizing my "opponent" cited the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, without acknowledging my argument:  that, as Stanford says, "Critical Theory has a narrow and a broad meaning in philosophy and in the history of the social sciences."  Ah, well, esprit d'escalier, eh?  Had I cited it, she/he would simply have crawfished away again.  It was a fine example of trolling of a kind I used to skewer fiercely.  It ain't worth it anymore.)  That was the argument, anyway.  A reductio ad absurdum that would admit no alternative interpretations.

I gotta get a better hobby.

1 comment:

  1. Hegelian Marxism? Poor Feuerbach, always the bridesmaid...

    ReplyDelete