Friday, April 28, 2023

Not All Texans

My wife and daughter can trace their ancestry directly back to the days of the Texas Revolution. (And other people trace back further than that, I know).  They are, if anything, more “Texan” than Dan Patrick.

His definition of “all” is way too fucking narrow. Not to say bluntly unconstitutional. Not even a majority of Texans want to defy the constitution.

I’m well aware Professor Vladeck is Jewish. I stand with him as a human being and common supporter of the First Amendment protecting religion by preventing the state, any state, from preferring one religious point of view over others, or over no religious point of view at all. As I’ve said before, Patrick is not representing my religious views, either.

Which is also a problem of presuming all Texans think like you do. I’m finding the legislators in Austin are far too prone to presuming all “real” Texans agree with them; and those who don’t, don’t really matter.

At least until they are confronted by those people.

1 comment:

  1. I favor making it part of the ethics code of all elected politicians, appointed office holder, judges, especially "justices." The ones against stealing and adultery would clear the way for new blood, the one against killing would end state murder.

    ReplyDelete