Friday, July 14, 2023

“Treason Doth Never Prosper…”

The only time it is “right” to “use violence to achieve political goals” is if your violence overthrows the established government.

Which, arguably, was the goal of the defendant on J6.
Standby... "There are other people in this world, and they are not me! How can this be?!” "I can’t have my way, so just send me to jail!” "Poor, poor pitiful me.” Well, now she is; poor, pitiful me, I mean. The courtroom is the place where reality proves this is not TeeVee, and you are not the star of the movie vindicated by your brave, bold declaration of principles. My guess is sentences tend to get reduced on appeal, so prosecution asks high knowing judges will go lower looking to preserve on review. 6 years is what DOJ asked for, and Southard could have gotten less if she’d read the script her lawyer handed her. The enhancement helped the judge justify the 6 years for (whatever) she did (I don’t know the facts or the charges). (And I’m pretty sure whatever the “guidelines” are, the courts in general are not following those any too snugly).

Finishing the epigram I started with:

“…what’s the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.”
Funny; she seems nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment