Sunday, June 12, 2005

Morning Prayer

I've used this before, but I consider it one of the best examples of what I was getting at in the post on Friday (below):

"My mother would be asking us to sing our morning song to God down in the backhouse, as Mary's lark was singing up the clouds, and as Christ's maven was singing it yonder in the tree, giving glory to the God of the creatures for the repose of the night, for the light of the day, and for the joy of life. She would tell us that every creature on the earth here below and in the ocean beneath and in the air above was giving glory to the great God of the creatures and the worlds, of the virtues and the blessings, and would we be dumb!"

This is the prayer her mother taught:

Bless to me, O God,
My soul and my body;
Bless to me, O god,
My belief and my condition;

Bless to me, O God,
My heart and my speech,
And bless to me, O God,
The handling of my hand;

Strength and busyness of morning,
Habit and temper of modesty,
Force and wisdom of thought,
And Thine own path, O God of virtues,
Till I go to sleep this night;

Thine own path, O God of virtues,
Till I go to sleep this night.

(from Carmina Gadelica)




Now, speaking of busyness of morning.....

No comments:

Post a Comment