Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Eight Sayings of Abba Aelred

Still cribbing from the comments section at Eschaton (I've really got to get a life!). Driving home from a class just now, I realized I wanted these in one place where I could find them easily. And since my desk is such a mess, and my filing system non-existent....

Hear [sic, but more appropriate than the correction would be] are the Eight Saying of Abba Aelred


I. God writes straight with crooked lines.

II. We are only as sick as our secrets.

III. Most perception is projection.

IV. Normal is what you're used to.

V. Our strengths are our weaknesses and our weaknesses are our strengths.

VI. The only law you can count on is the law of unintended consequences.

VII. Boundaries are completely arbitrary and absolutely essential.

VIII. Everybody lies about sex.
No. VII is my current favorite, if only because it is one of my philsophical hobby-horses (especially if I ever get that book on hospitality written. As I say, I really need to get a life).

No comments:

Post a Comment