Sunday, March 20, 2005

Just when you think it can't get worse....

It gets worse.

If there is a lesson in all of this ugliness, in all of this unseemliness, it is that everyone who can should have a "living will," a clear, unambiguous, direct declaration of what you want done (or not done) in case you reach the point that Terri Schiavo sadly has reached. Living wills are not expensive, they don't take a long time to complete, and they can help guide families during the worst moments of their lives. It's funny, if Congress in the name of Terri Schiavo had passed legislation aiding in the effort to get people to make living wills it would have earned my praise today instead of my scorn.
Via Atrios, of course.

This is beyond incomprehensible, beyond savage, beyond credible. This is a complete disregard for a legal system in exchange for e a few cheap political points. "At long, last, sir, have you no shame?"

That is the question this raises, now. The desecration to notions of human decency, morality, ethics, and now even law, are beyond imagination. I am a lawyer; I am a pastor; I am a human being, a husband and a father. I can't find enough words to condemn the people who exploit this situation, or to express my sorrow for those suffering in it. What Mr. Cohen says about the legal implications of this proposed legislation are absolutely chilling to my legal mind, and I hope the Courts waste no time in throwing this despicable law out as improper and unconstitutional. For the time being, the inmates are in charge of the asylum, and they are running riot.

At the beginning of Holy Week. How appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment