Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Prior Aelred Speaks!



Well, actually, he sent me a link, and a review. Since it is available on-line, I'll just give you the review. It's a very good one, from the London Review of Books, on Dawkins' The God Delusion.

It's also an excellent review of mainstream Christian theology. I'd like to clip a copy of it and just attach it to my blog, for the rest of left blogistan to peruse.

UPDATE: Fresh straw from Dawkins (or probably just recycled). A prime example:

[Dawkins speculates on the impact of "scientific evidence" that Jesus was born of a virgin mother, as if such could exist, then goes on:] You can bet your boots that not just the fundamentalists but every professor of theology and every bishop in the land would trumpet the archeological evidence to the skies.

Either Jesus had a father or he didn't. The question is a scientific one, and scientific evidence, if any were available, would be used to settle it.
First: no, they wouldn't. We settled this issue in seminary, actually. The statement that Jesus was born of a virgin is a confessional one, not necessarily and essentially an empirical one (which is different from a scientific claim; Dawkins blurs distinctions with abandon). So, like "proof" that the Shroud of Turin was real, or rather the proof that it wasn't, wouldn't change the church at all.

As for his second claim, if he asserts that is a scientific claim, then he's a poorer scientist than I thought, and I stand even more firmly beside my critique of his "selfish gene" theory. Clearly the man doesn't even understand science, much less either religion or theology. But if he wants to base his argument on Gould's "NOMA," I'll see his NOMA and raise him Wittgenstein's "language games," a much more penetrating analysis of how we talk about things, and whether or not we can denigrate another person's beliefs based on not sharing their understanding of what the words refer to. As Terry Eagleton says: "Only positivists think that ‘rational’ means ‘scientific.’" Considering how thoroughly Wittgenstein (and Godel) ended the logical positivists (described as the only philosophical school that actually came to an end. Russell abandoned it for anti-war protests, Whitehead followed Wittgenstein into quasi-mysticism, the rest faded away in to obscurity), it's little surprise Dawkins doesn't take on one of the greatest philosophers of the 20th century.

Or a real theologian, for that matter.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity on the topic of unpredicted
emotions.

my web site; screen next
My website :: more

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's definately a lot to know about this subject. I really like all of the points you have made.

Here is my webpage - next
Also see my website > view

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.

I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually come back down
the road. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice weekend!


Here is my webpage; know more

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! We are linking to this great article on our site.

Keep up the great writing.

my blog post: move next

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Very well written!


my web site - page next

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing,
nice written and include approximately all significant infos.
I'd like to look more posts like this .

Also visit my page - view

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on breakdown. Regards

Here is my weblog - more

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seldom drop comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here
"Prior Aelred Speaks!". And I do have some questions for you if
it's allright. Could it be only me or does it look as if like some of the remarks appear as if they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I'd like to keep up with anything new you
have to post. Could you make a list of all of your
public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?



my blog ... more

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off I want to say fantastic blog! I had a
quick question that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.

I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear
your head before writing. I've had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Appreciate it!

my homepage :: view more about
my site > click

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Very well written!

Here is my website page next

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

obviously like your website but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts.
Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding
it very bothersome to inform the reality however I'll certainly come again again.

My weblog; move next

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When some one searches for his necessary thing, so he/she wishes
to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.


Look into my homepage; click
my web page - click

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on web as compared to books, as I found this post at this web page.

Also visit my web page - next page

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been browsing online greater than 3 hours as
of late, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article
like yours. It's beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the net can be much more useful than ever before.

My web-site :: move next

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home