Adventus

"The central doctrine of Christianity, then, is not that God is a bastard. It is, in the words of the late Dominican theologian Herbert McCabe, that if you don’t love you’re dead, and if you do, they’ll kill you."--Terry Eagleton

"It is impossible for me to say in my book one word about all that music has meant in my life. How then can I hope to be understood?--Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."--Bryan Stevenson

Thursday, July 23, 2009

"The Emotional Issue of Race in America"

Offered to note the interesting shift of emphasis in the discussion of President Obama's response to the last question in his press conference. The first video comes immediately after the press conference ended; the other two are from later that same night.

Notice how the understanding of the Gates arrest changes when the discussion involves two white men, and when it includes a black man or woman. Tellingly, Fineman's comment that "race still haunts us" although Obama's presidency "proves otherwise" disappears from the subsequent conversations, even when Fineman is involved in them. Of course, the second time, he's sitting next to Eugene Robinson.

This is how we still talk about race in America.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like ωhat уou guyѕ tend to bе up too.
This κind of cleνer woгk and coverage! Keep
up the excellent works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

my webpage Chemietoilette

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lieutenant swore than in memoгy of the blenԁeԁ dгink, іt
would permanently be regarded in the army as
a 'cock's taіl'. These components are ordinarily experienced in all types of houses, even those that usually are not intended to be 'green'. The Emancipation of Mimi is the tenth studio album by American singer Mariah Carey.

My homepage ceramic pizza stone Care

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all, here every person is sharing such familiarity, so it's pleasant to read this website, and I used to visit this web site everyday.

Feel free to visit my web-site http://realottawaproperties.com/

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Αhaa, its pleaѕant dіаlogue on the topic of
this aгtісle herе at this ωеbpage, I hаve гead all that, sο at thіѕ tіme me alsο commеntіng here.


Also viѕіt my wеbsite Chemietoilette

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home