"It's not my fault!"
On @hardball @NBCNews @MSNBC I meant to say "Bowling Green terrorists" as reported here:— Kellyanne Conway (@KellyannePolls) February 3, 2017
That's Kellyanne Conway correcting her statement on "Hardball" about the "Bowling Green Massacre." Except she didn't pull that one out of thin air; as Joshua Keating at Slate points out, "Bowling Green" has roots that go back to Breitbart (the link is in Slate, I won't put one here). That's bad enough, but then again, we've already come to accept Ms. Conway's "alternative facts" as an option that will spill out of her mouth.
Let's not forget, however, she is part of the Trump Administration; and "alternative facts" are becoming a commonplace there:
There's a great deal more information in a series of tweets, but the bottom line is: there was no operation ready to go, waiting for the new POTUS to approve. Trump, according to reports, heard about this over dinner and approved of the raid, which was taken as a command to carry it out. But there was no preparation, no investigation, no discussion.3/Moreover no recommendation was made other than a recommendation to provide the next Administration with the necessary information.— Colin Kahl (@ColinKahl) February 2, 2017
7/ And run a careful process. From what I've read and heard, however, team Trump didn't do a careful vetting of the overall proposal or raid— Colin Kahl (@ColinKahl) February 2, 2017
8/Instead, Trump apparently had dinner with Mattis/Dunford and greenlit the op. I've heard there was a Deputies meeting the next day, but...— Colin Kahl (@ColinKahl) February 2, 2017
Which explains why the Defense Dept. turned on the White House when this raid ended in the death of one Navy Seal, the loss of a military aircraft, and the deaths of several non-combatants (i.e., innocent civilians).
If Colin Kahl's account is correct, this is a lie:
The US officials said the extremists' base had been identified as a target before the Obama administration left office on January 20, but President Barack Obama held off approving a raid ahead of his departure.It's also a shameless attempt at CYA. Considering the number of lies that have tumbled out of the White House (from even the POTUS himself), why should the official account be given more credence than this tweeted rebuttal? In fact, why should anything this White House says be taken as true?
A White House official said the operation was thoroughly vetted by the previous administration and the previous defense secretary had signed off on it in January. The raid was delayed for operational reasons, the White House official said.
And if everything the White House says is untrustworthy, even basic facts.....