Friday, August 14, 2020

[Instert Postal Joke Here]


First question:  this letter is dated July 30, 2020.  It was released on August 14, 2020.  Insert Postal Joke here.

Alright, the clear aim of this is to scare people away from using mail-in ballots.  EOD.  There's no other reason for this.  Although I think Trump's guy is trying to fuck up the postal service to clear the road for privatization of the mail, which works fine in urban areas (kinda sorta) but not in rural areas (I lived in rural Illinois for two years; mail was the only way to get anything delivered or sent out.  And everybody had a P.O., the town was that small.  FedEx or UPS gonna replace that?  Not hardly.).   Mostly this is to suppress the vote, or create a narrative that the election was "rigged."  (Which legally won't matter a whit, but it's not a good look for the republic.)

But it's also wrong about some details of Texas balloting.  My guess is most of the people who want to vote by mail (like yours truly) have already requested a ballot.  My County Clerk sent me the information on my birthday, when I became legally allowed to vote by mail without any other reason to do so.  I'm already scheduled for my November ballot, which should show up in early October, since Abbott pushed early voting back to mid-October (he added several days).  Frankly, if I wasn't already in the system for a mail-in ballot, I'd go to the polling place during the day ASAP, and be done with it.  I suspect a lot of people will vote early if they don't trust voting by mail.  (I do, because I'll mail my ballot back the day after I receive it).

And then there are the postal workers:


I really don't think the system is nearly as simple, or as simple to corrupt, as Trump and the Fearful think it is.  But this letter?  Eh; maybe more people need to vote early and in person.  I suspect most people are smarter than the Fearful do, and it's the minority who refuse to wear masks or melt down in stores or can't find their polling place on election day, or even run out of stamps.

Trump's incompetence will prevail.  All he's doing is convincing more people we have to get this idiot and his minions out of government.  At a minimum, we need to get his government out of our Postal Service!

No comments:

Post a Comment