This $1 coin is available for purchase in rolls of 25 for…$61. Or a bag of 100 for…$154.50.Accurate https://t.co/djt1SjzlFI pic.twitter.com/CGDMTQYf1i
— MeidasTouch (@MeidasTouch) September 2, 2026
And I could find it in my change? I haven’t gotten a dollar coin in my change in probably 50 years. When I was using cash, and liked to carry $1 coins (very briefly; it lost its charm quickly), most cash drawers didn’t have a slot for them, or I had to point out it wasn’t a 50 cent piece. I think once I got one in change, because they wanted it out of the drawer.
Anyway, I’m glad I don’t carry cash anymore. That coin would probably burn my hand.
Luke 20:21-25They asked him, Teacher, we know that what you speak and teach is correct, that you show no favoritism, but instead teach God’s way forthrightly. Is it permissible for us to pay taxes to the Roman emperor, or not?But he saw through their duplicity, and said to them, Show me a coin. Whose likeness does it near? And whose name is on it?”They said, “The emperor’s.”So he said to them, “Then pay the emperor what belongs to the emperor, and God what belongs to God.”
A coin of Julius Caesar shows his spirit descending cometlike to takes it place among the eternal deities. A coin of Augustus Caesar calls him divi filius, son of a divine one, son of a god, son of the aforesaid comet. A coin of Tiberius Caesar hails him as pontifex maximus, supreme bridge builder between earth and heaven, high priest of an imperial people. A silver denarius was a day's pay for a laborer and, if a day laborer meant somebody who worked every day rather than somebody who looked for work every day, it would have been a very good salary. Imagine this situation: If, after three days of hard work, a day laborer held those silver denarii in his hand, how would he, could he, should he distinguish between politics and religion in the Roman Empire?....Rome, and Rome alone, had built a kingdom and only it could approve how to build an underkingdom, a minirealm, a subordinate rule.John Dominic Crossan and Jonathan Reed, Excavating Jesus, revised & updated (New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2001), pp. 178-79.
*IYKYK
No comments:
Post a Comment