Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Lord, when did we see you?

Then:

Now:

When the son of Adam comes in his glory, accompanied by all his messengers, then he will occupy his glorious throne.  Then all peoples will be assembled before him, and he will separate them into groups, much  as a shepherd separates sheep from goats.  He'll place the sheep to his right and the goats to his left. Then the king will say to those at his right, 'Come, you who have the blessing of my Father, inherit the domain prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  You may remember, I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a foreigner and you showed me hospitality; I was naked and you clothed me; I was ill and you visited  me; I was in prison and you came to see me.'

Then the righteous will say to him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and gave feed you or thirsty and give you a drink? When did we notice that you were a foreigner and extend hospitality to you?  Or naked and clothed you? When did we find you ill or in prison and come to visit you?'

And the king will respond to them, 'I swear to you, whatever you did for the most inconspicuous members of my family, you did for me as well.'

Next he will say to those at his left, 'You, condemned to the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his messengers, get away from me!  You too may remember, I was hungry and you didn't give me anything to eat; I was thirsty and you refused me a drink; I was a foreigner and you failed to extend hospitality to me; naked and you didn't clothe me; ill and in prison and you didn't visit me.'

Then they will give him a similar reply: 'Lord, when did we notice that you were hungry or thirsty or a foreigner or naked or ill or in prison, and did not attempt to help you?'

He will then respond, 'I swear to you, whatever you didn't do for the most inconspicuous members of my family, you didn't do for me.'

The second group will then head for everlasting punishment, but the virtuous for everlasting life.  (Matthew 25: 31-46, SV)


So (John) would say to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, "You spawn of Satan! Who warned you to flee from the impending doom?  Well then, start bearing fruits suitable for a change of heart, and don't even start saying to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father'.  Let me tell you, God can raise up children for Abraham right out of these rocks.  Even now the ax is aimed at the root root of the trees.  So every tree not producing choice fruit gets cut down and tossed into the fire."

The crowds would ask him, "So what should we do?"

And he would answer them, "Whoever has two shirts should share with someone who has none; whoever has food should do the same."  Toll collectors also came to be baptized, and they would ask him, "Teacher, what should we do?" He told them, "Charge nothing above the official rates."  Soldiers also asked him, "And what about us?" And he said to them, "No more shakedowns!  No more frame-ups either!  And be satisfied with your pay."  (Luke 3: 7-14, SV)

Can't find a word in the gospels, or in all of scripture, where it says you shouldn't give money to groups who are against other groups because of sexual orientation, or that you should otherwise withhold money from groups because of their sexual orientation or support of people because of their sexual orientation.  So the "convictions" of Truett Cathy and Mike Huckabee and Greg Abbott don't seem to be true to the teachings of Scripture.  Huckabee and Abbot's decisions to criticize Chik-Fil-A for changing the recipients of their charity is certainly not true to the teachings of Scripture.

Huh.  Somebody might have something to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment