Thursday, November 07, 2019

Mirror, Mirror

With the exception of five years, I've lived in Texas my entire life. I've been a "liberal" my entire life, too. I returned to Texas more radicalized than when I left. And my vote has never been the prevailing political sentiment in this state; or any state, for that matter.

Who says it should be?

Houston and Dallas were conservative bastions in my youth, and I grew up in what is still deep red Texas (conservative Democrats then, but after the "betrayal" of Brown v. Board and the Civil Rights Act, etc., conservative GOP. The party name changed, not the politics.). Now the major cities if Texas are Democratic if not liberal, but state politics is still controlled by rural, not urban, voters. The Lege has taken to denying cities the power to do ad they see fit for their residents, based entirely on partisanship. I'd like to see that change and if people start voting in the cities, it will change. But until they do, I live in hope.

What I DON'T do is whine kill in public about unfair it is that people who don't vote like me, have control of the political process.  "Majority rule" means a shifting majority from time to time makes the rules, and those shift from time to time, too. It doesn't mean me and those who agree with me have the "right" to be a "majority" and to make the final set of inalterable rules.

And I think the truly I agreeable rule was who was a "minority," and who was not. That rule got altered some 60 years ago, and some have been trying to put it back in place ever since. That "hidden wiund6" refuses to stay hidden, and we won't let it heal.

We have met the enemy.  Guess who it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment