Thursday, September 08, 2005

Burial of the Dead

You all keep saying it better than I can.

Burial of the dead is the 6th of the Corporal Works of Mercy. Where is the mercy is leaving a body to rot on the ground? Where is our humanity?

I know that I have no idea how I would be if I was in the situation of workers in New Orleans, but listening to the repsonse of multiple workers yesterday on NPR uttering the true statement about removal of a dead body: "I don't have training in that area" or "that's not my assignment..." I was struck by how far we are from our humanity when we accept the indecent desecration of a the dead. WHere is our humanity that we can allow a human corpse to lie out exposed for days? Having clear boundaries on who handles which part of a search and rescue operation must be essential. Nevertheless, to have policemen and firemen & National Guard soldiers standing around in the vicinity and do nothing...it's a commentary on the strange state of modern man.
Speechless (from the comments below)

No comments:

Post a Comment