Saturday, May 25, 2019

I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Okay, two things:

1) For the love of language and communication, can we PLEASE stop using the word "existential" outside of the context of western philosophy? I mean except as a term of art in philosophy, or as a reference to a particular school of western thought.

2) What is "existential," in any meaning of the word, in responding to a subpoena? The only question is whether or not you spend the money on a lawyer when Congress goes to court to enforce it. And even eventually facing contempt of court is not an "existential" problem, it's only a question about how much MORE trouble you want to be in, and more importantly:  why?*

Okay, 3)  I used Rick Wilson's tweet because it's the perfect response to this "glamor shot" NYT attached to their article.

*it's not like she's a character in a Beckett play, for pity's sake!

3 comments:

  1. It's for when you need two trochees in a row to give your sentence euphony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprung spondees are fruitful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me think of what a production of Beckett's play Play (play) with Hope Hicks, Kellyanne Conway and . . . oh, I don't know, Sean Spicer would be like. Or maybe Trump, Melannia and Ivanka. I bet you could find some way to make it seem to have significance that I've failed to find in it.

    And if that doesn't work, there's always No Exit. If you really wanted to make hell seem hellish putting Trump and Kellyanne and Stephen Miller and the Disney Princess in it. that might work. Though I doubt Trump could remember his lines.

    ReplyDelete