Monday, April 18, 2005

Veggi Monster?

Is this wrong, or is it just me?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/07/tv.cookie.lessmonster.ap/
Sigh. As a vegan and an advocate for children's health, I can't help but applaud any movement in the entertainment industry to promote healthy lifestyle choices for children, particularly in light of the epidemic of childhood obesity and rising type 2 diabetes. Still...

My ten year old's take on this was: "If Cookie Monster can't eat all the cookies he wants, what hope is there for the rest of us?"

Cookie and the rest of the gang at Sesame Street were a huge formative part of my childhood. I was born the same year the show debuted, and I rememebr when Kermit was a sock and the cartoon interludes were so freakingly psychedelic my perpetually stoned uncle would sit and watch it with me every afternoon. There is nothing like it on today, and that includes the current iteration. Heck, I about lost it when they decided to make Snuffleupogus visible to the grown-ups. Why has it become more important to take the magic out of childhood instead of celebrating it?

I know this is of little importance in the grand scheme of things. Still, where have all the cookies gone....long time passing...

No comments:

Post a Comment