Thursday, March 07, 2019

Godwin's Law Backs The Truck Up


When Ilhan Omar says this:

“I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country,” Omar said as part of a discussion about past anti-Semitism allegations lobbed at her.

I understand her comments to be directed at AIPAC and its influence over Congress.  When Nancy Pelosi says this:

“I don’t think that the congresswoman is perhaps appreciative of the full weight of how it was heard by other people, although I don’t believe it was intended in any anti-Semitic way,” Pelosi told reporters at a press conference.

I understand her to be saying:  "Don't fuck with Israel, which in this case means AIPAC."

When Omar said it was "all about the Benjamins" I understood her to mean AIPAC's lobbying money, because the general perception about any lobbyist is that they influence legislators through money, directly or indirectly.  When she questions pushing for allegiance to a foreign country, I take that as rejecting the idea that criticism of the behavior of Israel (not any particular government in power, but their continued insistence that Palestinians are refugees, people without a country), is a critique that cannot be countenanced.

If that is an anti-semitic posture, then Godwin's Law has a new application.

(and the worst thing about these discussions where nobody's right and yet somebody's wrong, is that you get statements like this:

“I see everything as an opportunity,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters on Thursday. “This is an opportunity once again to declare as strongly as possible opposition to anti-Semitism, anti-Muslim statements, anti-white supremacist attitudes.”

She actually said "anti-Islamaphobic statements."  I heard this sound bite on NPR just now.  I think she carried the parallelism of the "anti-" prefix a bit too far, there; without intending to say what she actually said.  If you can't discuss the content of these terms, you can't discuss the problem with the ideas they represent.)

Adding:  I know I'm just making it awkward now, but:



What criticism of Israel (or more accurately, AIPAC; must we conflate the two?  Or does that shield AIPAC from criticism?), then, can not be described as "anti-Semitic", or a trope?  I'm asking in all seriousness, because this "controversy" seems to really be all about that, not about racial animus.

No comments:

Post a Comment