Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Cleopatra Didn’t Have Violet Eyes?

I skipped Oppenheimer because of the hype. I also don’t like long movies anymore. I can’t sit that long, especially if I’m drinking…anything while watching the movie.

I’m not going to see the new one just to spite Elmo.

But it is funnier that “Cleopatra” was about an historical figure, and Helen of Troy is as fictional as Odysseus.

These things that pass for knowledge I don’t understand.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard enough to know that one of the first Republican-fascists to slam the movie got the character that Eliot Page was playing wrong, didn't seem to know that all of the characters in the thing were fictional, didn't seem to know the difference between the two Homeric poems, etc.
    I did hear some rumor to the effect that this one has an underlying theme comparing the bronze-age collapse to the current collapse of th liberal democratic order - and reportedly for the same abandonment of the morality of the golden rule (I must have missed that when I tried to trudge through Latimore's Homer, the whining of the warriors and their being pretty much 12 is what I mostly remember) which might make this worth watching to discuss that. But, like you, I'm allergic to long movies. I don't like wasting more than about 50 minutes if it turns out to be a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Onion had an article about Nolan going after an audience member in the bathroom during the film., with a baseball bat. I sympathize with the fictional audience member.

    I’ll be glad to sit through it in a few years on my non-IMAX television. Same way I’d watch “Cleopatra.” If it wasn’t so boring.

    ReplyDelete