Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The Future Is So Familiar

 My memories of Watergate hearings are hazy, but I remember the questions were asked by counsel for Democrats and Republicans, followed by questions from Congress members on the committee.

I also remember the support for Nixon, the skepticism about the investigation and the allegations, faded slowly and then rapidly. As light was shone in the dark corners and as more people spoke in public, the more people changed their minds.

Of course John Dean unlocked it. Nixon had just won 49 states in the election. He was in office, not out. His staff was not rushing to testify against him; to save their reputations, to scramble away from the sinking ship of a former Administration. But still, as the truth came out, as more people saw the truth being revealed, the defense of Nixon crumbled.

And yet I know people who went to their graves convinced Nixon was railroaded. So it’s not like it’s ever going to be truly unanimous. But the J6 hearings are a rolling (okay, cartoon) snowball. As truth comes out, more truth comes out.

I saw this movie 49 years ago. I’m pretty sure I know how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment