Monday, August 08, 2016

Why I don't watch the Olympics anymore

I hate the focus on Americans. I hate the so-called inspiring back-stories. I hate the jumping from partially-covered event to partially-covered event. I hate interviewers jamming a microphone in an athlete's face and asking him or her how it feels to win or lose. I hate the medal count. I like watching elite athletes do their thing.

From a comment at TPM, but I didn't see any reason to re-invent the wheel.

I like fencing.  I never get to watch Olympic-class fencing.  I like a lot of the obscure sports, couldn't care less (maybe because of the hype) about women's gymnastics.  Nothing wrong with it, it just dominates American coverage, and I get bored.  I like to see the events, not the events Americans are expected to "medal" in.

So I don't watch the Olympics.

It's only every four years I get to mention this.  I just wanted to get it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment