Monday, June 21, 2021

NYC Has An Incredible Record Of Thinking It Is the Center Of The Country

I follow Maggie Haberman's tweets because I get access to good news stories there. I skip all the tweets about the NYC Mayoral race because...not my city.  But people from NYC insist otherwise: Well, I guess; but when it comes to ideas about voting and who can and who can't, Stacey Abrams comes to mind first. And she's not even from New York state.

As for the impact of NY Democrats (by which Mr. Smith means NYC Democrats), a picture is worth a thousand words:


Not that Texans are above (or beneath) such things:


I like to think we have a better sense of humor about it.  OTOH, where did "Juneteenth" come from?  And does anybody outside NYC really care who the Mayor is?  Or even notice how the campaigns are conducting themselves?

Prosecution rests, your Honor.


1 comment:

  1. One thing I've noticed, they seldom have a mayor who's good. But they're not unique even in that. Local politics is the most corrupt level of politics from what I can see. Mostly because if the media is even watching, those who own it have a vested interest in some level of corrupt behavior on the part of whoever is in there. The NYC media is pretty bad, though I do like the radio show On the Media that critiques the media. Most of the rest of it is pretty bad.

    I don't know, maybe it's because NYC comes between me and Texas but I've never met a Texan stupid enough to really believe in the exclusive importance of the state which, in any case, is far larger and more diverse than NYC certainly in geography and just not being cooped up in the five boroughs. I've never met anyone from smaller states who have anything like that mindset. There's a Sarah Orne Jewett story that has one of its more ignorant charcters bemoaning that newspapers have made people more concerned with what goes on thousands of miles away than they do in their own little town. But she was presenting her as a product of insular ignorance and limited understanding. I've known lots of New Yorkers who would be proud to display those kinds of things. Though nothing like all of them who I've met.

    ReplyDelete