Monday, August 14, 2006

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

I keep promising myself I'll get off this subject; and soon, I will. I promise.

But this part of Sy Hersh's article doesn't surprise me:

The Bush Administration, however, was closely involved in the planning of Israel’s retaliatory attacks.
I do wonder, however, in the words of the old anti-war song: "When will they ever learn?"

President Bush and Vice-President Dick Cheney were convinced, current and former intelligence and diplomatic officials told me, that a successful Israeli Air Force bombing campaign against Hezbollah’s heavily fortified underground-missile and command-and-control complexes in Lebanon could ease Israel’s security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential American preĆ«mptive attack to destroy Iran’s nuclear installations, some of which are also buried deep underground.
Because this is just what's happened since a planned cease-fire was announced:

Hezbollah fired more than 250 rockets at northern Israel, the worst daily barrage since fighting started July 12. Missiles killed an Israeli man and wounded 53 people, rescue officials said. Cars were set afire in the northern city of Haifa, billowing black smoke into the sky.

Israeli officials appealed to residents of the north who fled the rockets not to return before the government determined the situation was safe.
So, how's that strategic planning working out, Dick? Bombing Iraq looking any better to you?

I can only hope not.

By the way, I still think Katrina is the undercurrent in American politics that is going to flush out the Augean stables of D.C. I have nothing more than that and this to go on, but Americans took decades to let go of mythical MIA's and POW's in Vietnam. We aren't going to forget our own in our own backyard in only 12 months. Just because the pundits and the political blogs aren't talking about it, doesn't mean it isn't on the minds of the voters.

Tomorrow: back to religion. I'm getting tired of world affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment