Sunday, October 20, 2024

“Don’t, Don’t, You Know, Blame Me”

The POTUS has an obligation to consider ALL the facts and reach a considered conclusion.

Unless you’re Trump.
But when you said, you know, it's gone viral, they're eating the dogs, they're eating the cats," Kurtz noted. "But why not say now, well, look, that turned out not to be true." 
"I don't know if it's true or not true," Trump replied. 
"You don't know if it's true or not true," Kurtz pressed. "It's been debunked by the officials." 
"What about the goose? The geese?" Trump asked. "They're all missing. It was one guy with two geese." 
"I have no idea. I said something. The big problem is that you can't put 30,000 people into a 50,000-person town or city and expect this city to even survive or do well," he continued. "What they've done to Springfield, Ohio, is very, very unfair. And I mean, there are a lot of stories." 
"There are a lot of other stories that I've heard that are horrible stories... Don't, don't, you know, blame me." 
"Well, I think it's been debunked by local officials," Kurtz said. 
"I don't think it's been debunked at all," Trump griped. "I think nobody talks about it except you."
"I don’t know if it’s true, and I don’t know if it’s not true” is a damning statement from a POTUS. Even worse is “I don’t think anybody talks about it except you.” When the subject has been widely, and nationally, discussed.

Presidents live in a bubble, by necessity. Trump lives in the bubble of his own mind. That is not a condition imposed by the office.

One important job of the President is to sort through the stories, because there are always “lots of stories.”

And, as Truman’s sign on the Resolute Desk said: “The Buck Stops Here.”  

I wouldn’t rely on Trump to feed my cat.

Coda:

No comments:

Post a Comment