You and what military, Sen. Leghorn? Certainly not the one run by Trump and Hegseth. You know, the guy who just announced another ceasefire, after announcing a major escalation, which he almost immediately cancelled.Sen. John Kennedy says his response to Iranian cyberattacks would be to "eat them up and spit the bones on the floor" pic.twitter.com/ANpjfUpFgs
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
WELKER: Trump now says he wants Congress to pass a bill making the anti-weaponization fund the law of the land. Would you support that?
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
KENNEDY: I'd have to read it first
WELKER: You'd be open to that?
KENNEDY: I'd be willing to look at it pic.twitter.com/w1MyjY4ZyP
So, the fund would just be for Trump?WELKER: Do you think anybody who attacked police officers and stormed the Capitol on January 6 should get taxpayer money as a part of that fund?
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
KENNEDY: No, I'd take them off the table pic.twitter.com/2pqTMGVAvE
The nation grows anxious when it’s so clear the President is disconnected from reality. We have a constitutional institution meant to correct for precisely that situation. Why won’t it, Senator?Sen. John Kennedy on Trump's blatant reflecting pool lies: "The president says it was caused by vandals. I don't know if he really believes that or it's part of his political messaging or he's just thinking out loud ... he grows anxious when he has an unexpressed thought." pic.twitter.com/4R0ADLE7po
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
Actually, the immediate issue of the moment is the price of gasoline, inflation, and economic growth (there isn’t any). I know Israel is the topic du jour among online cognoscenti. But I doubt it’s top of mind among voters who don’t spend their days obsessing over D.C. gossip.Bernie Sanders: "The immediate issue of the moment is whether or not we continue to put tens of billions of dollars into the extremist Netanyahu government which has killed 75,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children ... " pic.twitter.com/YCK45c6xYs
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
(I can’t vote for or against Fetterman. I don’t give a wet snap how often he’s on Fox News), and who don’t know who Netenyahu is. Or much care.Bernie Sanders on Fetterman: "He's way out of touch with the people of America" pic.twitter.com/FFbRxslIA3
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 2, 2026
"You do not know what you're doing to people who are struggling to live," Oklahoman Trinity Goodman said in comments directed at Trump. "You got money in the bank. You don't know how it feels to struggle. Live in my shoes for one day. You wouldn't be able to handle it."No mention of “But American support for Israel is my biggest concern!,” there. So many voices claiming they know what the central Democratic message should be. Might I suggest this one?
Goodman told Kristof that she had less than $4 in her checking account and a cent in her savings account to keep it open, calling it her full assets. She said that her food stamps can't go toward buying toilet paper or feminine hygiene products.
She survives by selling her blood plasma twice a week, she said.
"I've never been to a barber or any of those places," Goodman said. "Never. I don't have that luxury."
Kristof noted Trump's cuts to benefits, including to Medicaid, food stamps, and early childhood education, adding the push to cut benefits for struggling Americans is "hard to square with the expense of the Iran war, as well as subsidies for private planes and tax cuts for the wealthiest."
The columnist said he was stunned by trip through America and the pressure caused by inflation and social benefit cuts.
"I talked to so many people who are losing food stamps and other benefits and increasingly desperate — and resentful, understandably, of elites who seem indifferent to their struggles," Kristoff said.
Latoya Foster, 31, a single mother raising six children in Arkansas, told Kristoff she was among those to lose food stamps before she broke down and wept.
“I hit rock bottom daily,” she told Kristoff. “The more I work, the harder stuff gets.”
No comments:
Post a Comment