... so Raw Story would credit me with noticing Trump’s assertions about the agreement with Greenland, don’t match Greenland’s statements.Good night from Greenland 🇬🇱
— Orla Joelsen (@OJoelsen) September 19, 2026
Have a good weekend, everyone! pic.twitter.com/DMe0BVmbKj
Actually, I wouldn’t like that. I quite like going unnoticed.
Anyway, I reposted this graphic because I really didn’t pay attention to it before. It’s a Yale Law analysis of the existing U.S.-Greenland agreement, which simply means it’s from a third-party and so presumptively accurate. Greenland has stated the issue of sovereignty and independence have been reaffirmed (for them, pretty much the whole point of this), and the 1941 agreement is tied to the NATO treaty. Trump thinks he won Greenland, the “deal” is in perpetuity, or for 500 years (he thinks he has access to VZ oil for that long, too. Slavery in North America didn’t last 500 years. Just sayin’.), whichever comes first. “A man hears what he wants to hear/and disregards the rest.”
Reports from Greenland indicate they simply got Trump to reaffirm the 1951 agreement. It will certainly be no more than an amendment to that.
You can read the original agreement here. I imagine this bit is unchanged:
The national flags of both countries shall fly over the defense areas.I cite that just for the Katie Millers of the world.
I would also note:
This Agreement, being in implementation of the North Atlantic Treaty, shall remain in effect for the duration of the North Atlantic Treaty.So if Trump makes good on his threat to break the NATO alliance, this agreement goes away, too.
I really think Trump is the stupidest person to ever hold the office. We should work on some constitutional guardrails to prevent this ever happening again. A ceiling above the 35 year old floor would at least be a start. I stand by my thesis that Trump won twice only because we wouldn’t elect a woman (which doesn’t mean Biden would have won again). So there is no absolute solution. But we need some serious constitutional amendments to come out of this. We’ve got some Dred Scott level decisions that need to be battered down, to begin with (VRA, Presidential immunity, political funding, abortion, “DEI,” etc.)
Sorry. Early morning rambling. Old man’s disease, I guess. Good thing I have no serious responsibilities. And I’m too long-winded for Twitter.
No comments:
Post a Comment