Thursday, February 17, 2022

This Headline Is Not An Exaggeration

I didn't lose anybody. I didn't even lose any plants (well, one, a large prickly pear I'd grown from a pot.). I still remember it as traumatic: just wandering the house, going into a bathroom with a gas space heater in the wall ('50's technology; you light 'em with a match) to warm up. No water. no electricity, no heat (gas furnace, but no electricity to turn it on at the thermostat, or run the blower). People froze to death, people died of CO poisoning running generators in their apartments or houses, or too damned near them (that's a whole other story).   People died from fumes burning wood that shouldn't have been in a fireplace.

And what did the Texas government do?  Give the energy companies everything they wanted, while Greg Abbott proclaimed the one true cold front to hit Texas this calendar year, a completely normal one for a Texas winter, "proved" the Lege had fixed everything, and his benevolent dictatorship had kept the elephants of winter away this time.

We're expecting another front here on the 3rd coast tonight.  Not severe, but I expect my power company will want to limit my thermostat's desire to heat my house, just to be safe on their side.

This is obscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment