Monday, March 25, 2024

Baptized (?) Heathens Kick Off Holy Week

It’s ironic that Christ walked through His greatest persecution the very week they are trying to steal your property from you," the supporter wrote, referring to the New York Attorney General's Office potentially seizing Trump properties to settle the massive $450 million-plus civil fraud verdict leveled against him. 
"They have also surrounded me with words of hatred, and fought against me without a cause. In return for my love they are my accusers, but I give myself to prayer. Thus they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love. Set a wicked man over him, and let an accuser stand at his right hand. When he is judged, let him be found guilty and let his prayer become sin. Let his days be few and let another take his office."
The Crucifixion analogized to a loss of property is just offensive, not to mention Biblically ignorant.
There was a man whose fields produced a bumper crop. “What do I do now?” he asked himself, “since I don’t have any place to store my crops. I know!” he said, “I’ll tear down my barns and build larger ones so I can store all my grain and my goods. Then I’ll say to myself, ‘You have plenty put away for years to come. Take it easy, drink, enjoy yourself.’” But God said to him, “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded back from you. All this stuff you’ve collected—whose will it be now?” That’s the way it is with those who save up for themselves, but aren’t rich where God is concerned.—Luke 12:18b-22 (SV)
I mean, as long as we’re going to proof text, let’s do it right.

The analogy to Trump as the crucified is idolatrous. And the quotation from the Psalms (Psalm 109:3-8, to be exact) is pretty offensive since it is the prayer of a believer for deliverance by God, in this context offered for a man who thinks “Two Corinthians” is a book of the Bible, and who asserts he’s never had to ask forgiveness for anything he’s ever done.

I doubt the person offering this to the world is who Russell Moore had in mind, but that would only mean Russell’s scope was too narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment