Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Done



I did it.

I voted for the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

I voted for the people of Iraq, and the US military personnel there, and their families, everywhere.

I voted for the widow and the orphan, the poor and the powerless, because voting is one more small thing I can do for them.

I voted for the Constitution, and due process, and equal protection under the law, and habeas corpus, the "golden thread" of Anglo-American jurisprudence, without which "innocent until proven guilty" is just a hollow joke.

I even voted for truth, justice, and the American way.

I voted even though I know it will have no significance in itself, that it will have as little impact and be as little noted as this blog itself. But I did it. And if you're in America, and you're reading this, I only have one question: Did you vote yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment