Tuesday, August 21, 2018

MWM seeks guidance


Until now I really didn't know who Asia Argento was; at best I connected her to Anthony Bourdain because of somebody Bourdain was mad at on her behalf (this is not a humble brag; I didn't know anybody at the VMA's, either; or that the VMA's were on, or what they rewarded, or that Madonna did a Trumpian tribute to the Queen of Soul), but here's the weakness of the #MeToo movement in all its glory and infamy:

“I am deeply shocked and hurt by having read news that is absolutely false,” she wrote. “I have never had any sexual relationship with Bennett.”

Argento goes on to claim that the payment of $380,000 she made to Bennett, in exchange for a photo that allegedly shows them in bed, was meant to help the economically struggling actor.

Argento also said her boyfriend, Anthony Bourdain, had insisted on paying Bennett to prevent “further intrusions” into their lives.

As TMZ reports, the payment was made in exchange for a photo showing Bennett and Argento in bed together. TMZ notes that the photo is not necessarily of a sexual nature, but could be interpreted as post-coital.

Argento has been an outspoken representative of the #metoo movement and was one of the first women to come forward against Harvey Weinstein.

No doubt Harvey Weinstein is guilty of numerous crimes and indecencies; but what about Garrison Keillor (who had one accuser, that we know of) or Al Franken (the worst against him was being "handsy" and some dubiously funny photographs; then again, the photos may have been as out of context as the tweets of James Gunn; yeah, I keep up with some things)?  And I don't know if Ms. Argento seduced Mr. Bennett when he was only 17 (which would be statutory rape, and what's the statute of limitations in CA?); but aren't I supposed to presume she did?  Except Mr. Bennett isn't talking, which may be due to an NDA somebody paid for (I swear, Trump is going to soil and expose all kinds of dubious actions that we've never heard of and should have).  So I guess that's the difference:  he isn't making the accusation. Because if he did, wouldn't we have to believe him?

But since he's silent, I guess we have to believe Ms. Argento?  This new morality is so tricky to navigate.

1 comment:

  1. I've fallen out with lots of people over things like judging every case by its particular facts in these matters. I'd never heard of any of them before (never heard of Bourdain until he died and I'm still hot clear on why he was famous.

    Up until this very moment, I don't think it would have occured to me to think of Madonna as being in the same thing as Aretha Franklin. I wanted to call it the same "line of work" but that would be unjust to Aretha Franklin or "line of art" which would have been too charitable to Madonna. Nihil nisi ego, seems to be their idea of a tribute. I'm sure that's not right, it's been ages.

    ReplyDelete