Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Forward Into the Future!

I knew people in my church who grew up on farms in what is now "suburban" Houston (not a mile from my house stand the old silos where grain was stored and transferred to rail cars for shipment.  The tracks are gone, the farms are gone, the silos now serve as storage facilities.  It would take a nuclear blast to knock 'em down.).  They told me about folk cures for sore throat (a rag soaked in kerosene and wrapped around the neck), and treating something else (chest cold?  sore throat, too?) with the topical application of raw bacon.  Never asked if they cooked it or threw it away after that.

They never told me anybody treated anything by drinking bleach.

2 comments:

  1. Just a guess, but I wonder if ingesting chlorine might result in the production of trihalomethanes which are highly carcinogenic. I know it was something that they warned about, treating water with a high amount of organic material in it with chlorine back when I thought of becoming a water treatment operator. It was a musician realizing he had no retirement security thing. If my eyes were better maybe I'd finish the course and look for a job in it. Though Trump will probably get rid of water treatment standards next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and, yeah, how stupid do people get? Makes you wonder if the origin of that was by someone with college credentials.

    ReplyDelete