Sunday, January 15, 2023

Chuck Todd Is Not Your Avatar

“Chuck, you know, Chuck, part of the problem, and this is pretty obvious to anybody watching this," a fuming Johnson replied, "You don't invite me on to interview me, you invite me on to argue with me." 
"I'm trying to lay out the facts that Senator [Chuck] Grassley and I uncovered and they were suppressed, censored. They interfered in the 2020 election. Conservatives understand it," Johnson argued. "Unfortunately liberals in the media don't and that's part of the reasons our politics are inflamed. We do not have an unbiased media. We don't, it's unfortunate and I'm all for a free press." 
"Senator, look, go to partisan," Todd began before changing direction as he talked over the GOP lawmaker. "Senator, look, we're trying to deal with issues here and facts. You can go back on your partisan cable cocoon and talk about media bias all you want, I understand it's part of your identity."
Todd is not arguing with Johnson; Johnson picked a fight with Todd, and knew exactly how to do it: attack journalists. He calls it the “liberals in the media” intentionally, not accidentally, because he knows the only bait Todd will rise to is attacks on journalism; or Todd, personally. Which, to Todd, is the same thing. Todd “deals with issues here and facts” only when the interviewee pisses on Todd. It’s as predictable as sunrise.

And Todd’s as thin-skinned as Trump.

I can think of several journalists (starting with Jonathan Swan) who could make Johnson eat that shit sandwich he served up. Todd is not one of them.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot think of Chuck Todd without thinking of him as one of the young guys Brian Lamb seemed to have a crush on before he ceased being the 63-year-old virgin. I've never been able to take him seriously as a journalists but as one of those ersatz substitutes that make up the DC press corps.

    ReplyDelete