Friday, July 24, 2026

We Don’t All Vote For Schumer

The talking heads on Stephanie Ruhle were just assuring me Dems are in disarray over Israel.

This is their reminder that the entire country doesn’t live in NYC (which could be understandably pro-Israel, but is not the tail that wags the dog).

3 comments:

  1. I tend to think of Trump as an outsider to the muckademucks of New York but til Mar-a-Largo he was really as NYC as it gets. That has to be a factor in how he *still* gets treated like someone with a functioning mind and the ability to think ahead more than the next rape victim.

    As for Schumer... he and Jeffries have, for the most part, worked the levers available to minority leaders pretty well. They certainly do much better than Mike Johnson does with his majority. Their, or somebodies like them, skills are going to be needed in the next Congress. Unless the Ds really do wipe the floor with the Rs. The Rs can get away with not doing their jobs correctly, the Ds will not have that luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing against Schumer. His support if Israel is sincere, and I only question Israel’s behavior. Just as we re-elected Trump, they chose Bibi again. Actions have consequences, and Gaza and Lebanon make Israel look like Nazi Germany. That which you most oppose, you most come to resemble.

    To remove any ambiguity I may have created, Schumer is the Senator from New York. He’s not the POTUS, and he’s not the leader of a cult, Γ  la Trump. The pundits are too BosWash-centric to see the country, which is not an extension of the East Coast. And doesn’t need to be, anymore than I’d want the country to be an extension of Texas.

    I just want to be clear: Schumer is a metaphor here. He’s what the pundits think is the Democratic Party, and when he isn’t, the party (in Texas, or Georgia, or Ohio) is “in disarray.” Which is very blinkered seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, we’ll need skilled leadership in Congress. Dems have two years to make stuff happen, or thus cycle just repeats. We are still in the aftermath of Covid, IMHO. If something doesn’t fundamentally shift in two years, we’ll stay stuck in that rut.

    ReplyDelete