Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Only The Best

I accept the analogy and that this pleading is intensely stupid. But I’m rusty enough to not grasp the problem immediately.

This one I do understand at first sight. As God is my witness I read about this a few minutes earlier than I saw this tweet, and I’d already thought about how Trump would have to file a separate suit to block release of these documents. A separate suit in the trial court. Or try to get the trial court to add these four pages, AND issue a restraining order by 6:00 p.m. That much about procedure I still understand (the issue on the motion to dismiss is procedural, not substantive, law. And those are just terms of art (i.e., classifications), not judgments on merit).

The ex-President’s lawyers, however, do not.

They have until 6 p.m. DC time to correct their error; or they’ll need to contact their malpractice insurers. This really isn’t a mistake a first-year lawyer would make. Then again, their grasp of procedural law proves to be almost nonexistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment