Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Two Of The Best Bookstores In The State


 

 "The Reader Act would have required any book vendor that does business with a Texas school district to rank every book that's ever been sold by the vendor based on sexual content," said the Houston Chronicle. "Two independent bookstores, Houston's Blue Willow Bookshop and Austin’s BookPeople, as well as a coalition of professional publishing organizations, sued the state over the law, arguing that not only was it unconstitutional, but also that it created an undue burden on private businesses, was unenforceable, and was too broadly written."

Until I can find the court's opinion, all I can say is, the trial judge blocked enforcement of "The Reader Act."

I fully expect a 5th Circuit panel to overrule him, in the name of freedumb.  Hopefully the Supremes will take it up.  I don't think even the Roberts Court would find support for this law past probably Thomas and Alito.

The idea of ranking books based on content, sexual or otherwise, is so ambiguous and impossible to define ("I know it when I see it," said Potter Stewart, which is as close as any legal mind has gotten to an applicable standard) I don't see how even the 5th Circuit can support it.  But I'm sure they won't let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment