Friday, October 30, 2020

Noted en passant

If it wasn't for Aaron Rupar getting in the occassional twitter spat with Glenn Greenwald, I wouldn't know the latter was still alive.  I'm sure there are people dedicated to the "investigative journalism" of The Intercept (all journalism should be investigative.  I can't bring myself to call the people who hang out in the White House Press Room waiting for the Press Secretary to drop food in their open beaks....oh, sorry...).   I'm just not one of them, but why should what I like rule the world?

I just find it funny that the new standard of freedom of speech and free exchange of ideas so often turns into personal narratives and stories alleging temper tantrums.  All news is gossip, as Thoreau opined, and its the gossip that makes itself heard as "news" far too easily these days.  Still, what you gonna do about it?

My personal opinion of Greenwald is that, rather like Jonathan Turley, he seemed reasonable back when he was defending Clinton (or Obama, I guess, in the former's case) until it turned out all either was doing was attacking their critics.  Rather like The Lincoln Project or William Kristol today.  Hell, even George Will sounds statesmanlike because he recognizes the failings and dangers of Trump.  What I most remember about Greenwald was when he assured all who would listen that he would be arrested by the Obama Administration upon his return to America to claim some prize which I've already forgotten about (and his whole cozying up to Snowden doesn't look all that clever or noble anymore, especially since Snowden is still a guest of Putin, and even Ecuador finally got tired of Julian Assange, who would like to be a guest of Putin, I'm guessing), and it:  didn't happen.  Turned out Mr. Greenwald wasn't worth the effort it would take to prosecute him for publishing Snowden's revelations.  He wanted to be a First Amendment martyr, to lay his body on the line for a noble principle.  And he didn't get the chance to do it.

I think he felt like Trump did after the Washington Correspondent's Dinner.  In fact, that may explain why he's a Trump sympathizer.  His former employer says he's a Trump enthusiast.  I wouldn't know.  I don't read "The Intercept."

I guess I'm just glad to know Greenwald is still alive.  He's certainly still irrelevant.  Then again, so am I.
ADDENDUM: It seems Charlie Pierce agrees with me; one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment