Sunday, June 23, 2024

Singing Lessons For A Sunday

My life goes on in endless song 
Above earth´s lamentations, 
I hear the real, though far-off hymn 
That hails a new creation.

 

Through all the tumult and the strife 
I hear its music ringing, 
It sounds an echo in my soul. 
How can I keep from singing?

 

While though the tempest loudly roars, 
I hear the truth, it liveth. 
And though the darkness 'round me close, 
Songs in the night it giveth. 
No storm can shake my inmost calm, 
While to that rock I´m clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth 
How can I keep from singing? 

 

When tyrants tremble in their fear 
And hear their death knell ringing, 
When friends rejoice both far and near 
How can I keep from singing?

 

In prison cell and dungeon vile 
Our thoughts to them are winging, 
When friends by shame are undefiled 
How can I keep from singing?

Somewhere along the way, Xianity (well, some of Xianity. Sometimes, in America at least, it seems like all of it did) went from confidence (i.e., faith) in God, even in hard times, to faith God would spare believers from hard times. And any suffering would call into question not only the power of God, but the reality of God. Which is quite a selfish turn, indeed.

Did I ever tell you my theory that the “original sin” was not defiance, but selfishness? That the sin we are all born capable of committing (if you must call it sin) is thinking too soon of ourselves, and too much of ourselves, too late ann too little of others?

If Christianity has declined, perhaps it is because we began to believe God was here for us, rather than we were here for each other and, mirabile dictu, God the Creator, was here with us?

Can we keep from singing because God is not giving us what we want? Or can we be less childish than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment