Saturday, September 12, 2026

Trump Is Stuck In The ‘70’s

I get the talking point, because Trump is using Carr to abuse the authority of the FCC. (Disney/ABC could tell Carr to pound sand, but affiliated stations are not run by Disney and could choose to avoid the legal troubles. Or Sinclair could pull Kimmel again….). But the truth is, the Fairness Doctrine doesn’t apply to cable. It only applies to broadcast. And who’s watching broadcast TV ๐Ÿ“บ anymore? Except, I mean, Boomers. Who we’re all supposed to despise, now. Gotta blame somebody, right? As I was saying, not seeing this: on TeeVee doesn’t mean people aren’t seeing it. If anything, Carr made sure more people see it.   Idiots.

(And Talarico is interpreting scriptures and Xian doctrine the way I was taught to do in seminary. It’s only “radical” and “dangerous” if you want to keep people under your thumb. Watching Robert Jeffress at the Trumpapalooza, it was clear he likes his congregation ignorant and knowing only the scripture he tells them about. Jeffress is big on the “personal relationship with Jesus”* that, as Talarico says, excuses everything else. Which is ironically close to the Reformation protest of the RC’s practice of selling indulgences. Talarico cites Matthew 25 (“Lord, when did we see you?”) for the argument that what the Lord requires of us is to take care of each other.  Jeffress prefers to divide us between those on his side, and everyone else. And “everyone” covers a lot of people. But it’s “everyone” who we are called to help. That’s what I learned in seminary. Good theology is always good for you.)

*His emphasis on John 14:6 is the classic choice for exclusion, because he means “coming to God” only through his ideas of God. No other need apply. Which is to put himself in the seat of judgment. But isn’t that what Jesus criticized the Pharisees for doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment