Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Should Have Appealed...

...to the integrity and reputation of the Court, which this kind of nomination and hasty process will damage further. As Justice Roberts understands (barely), the reputation of the Court is its only real power.  This kind of raw political ploy just cheapens appointments to the High Court even further.

But when they're dangling the biggest prize available before you, who takes time to be an institutionalist?  Ego whispers in your ear that you'll make it better and overcome the stain of your nomination (look at Kavanaugh.  Look at Thomas.). And who can argue with the wonders I might perform?
As a lawyer, I wouldn’t have signed it either.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping lightning strikes and she isn't put on it but I'm hoping I win the lottery too. This is more like winning one without buying a ticket. Short of that I'm hoping for a Democratic sweep with a big enough margin of Democrats ready to save democracy and that the Court will do something so hateful that it forces real change. I'm hoping the Congress finally has had enough of those 80 5-4s Whitehouse talked about and tells them "you and whose army?"

    ReplyDelete