Friday, August 27, 2021

When The Son Of Adam Comes In His Glory

...accompanied by all his messengers, then he will occupy his glorious throne.  Then all peoples will be assembled before him, and he will separate them into groups, much as a shepherd segregates sheep from goats.  He'll place the sheep to his right and the goats to his left.  Then the king will say to those at his right, 'Come, you have have the blessing of my Father, inherit the domain prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  You may remember, I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a foreigner and you showed me hospitality; I was naked and you clothed me; I was ill and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to see me.'

Then the virtuous will say to him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you or thirsty and give you a drink?  When did we notice that you were a foreigner and extend hospitality to you? Or naked and clothe you? When did we find you ill or in prison and come to visit you?

And the king will respond to them: 'I swear to you, whatever you did for the most inconspicuous members of my family, you did for me as well.'

Next he will say to those at his left, 'You,, condemned to the evelasting fire prepared for the devil and his messengers, get away from me! You too may remember, I was hungry and you didni't give me anything to eat; I was thirsty and you refused me a drink; I was a foreigner and you failed to extend hospitality to me; naked and you didn't clothe me; ill and in prison and you didn't visit me.'

Then they will give him a similar reply: 'Lord, when did we notice that you were hungry or thirsty or a foreigner or naked or weak or in prison and did not attempt to help you?'

He will then respond: 'I swear to you, wheatever you didn't do for the most inconspicuous members of my family, you didn't do for me.'

The second group will then head for everlasting punishment, grumbling about their personal liberties and their right to be free of government oppression and mandates and responsibililty for anybody but themselves, and the King on his throne will be heard to say: "Aren't they gone yet?"

Matthew 25:31-46a, with emendations (SV)

No comments:

Post a Comment