Friday, April 21, 2023

They Keep Dragging Me Back In

King said during a committee hearing earlier this month that the Ten Commandments are part of American heritage and it’s time to bring them back into the classroom. He said the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for his bill after it sided with Joe Kennedy, a high school football coach in Washington state who was fired for praying at football games. The court ruled that was praying as a private citizen, not as an employee of the district.

“[The bill] will remind students all across Texas of the importance of the fundamental foundation of America,” King said during that hearing.

So you're going with the Jefferson Bible version?  Except I don't think it's in there.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd look at my copy to see if the Beatitudes are there for you.

And yeah, the Joe Kennedy case said no such thing.  That was a guy standing on the field praying after the games were over.  It was a terrible decision, but it didn't involve "prayer time" during the school day, where students are required to at least be quiet in the classroom, even if they don't participate.  If the Supremes really want the shit to hit the fan, they'll overrule their other 50+ year old precedents right after the Thomas Affair finally fades away.

Even I don't think they're that much in the bubble.

“I believe that you cannot change the culture of the country until you change the culture of mankind,” [Lite Guv. Patrick] said. “Bringing the Ten Commandments and prayer back to our public schools will enable our students to become better Texans.”

Well, I'd say the thinking of humankind, because culture is virtually immutable.  But I'd agree the culture should change, because that's the nature of the basileia tou theou.  Though I'm sure you and I wouldn't agree on what that is, which means we wouldn't agree on what "Christian" is, and who gets to decide?  Me, for my daughter?  Or the state? 

Besides, if you really want to change the "culture of mankind," what better way to do it than with Luke's Beatitudes?  If mean, if you insist on staying with scripture, rather than, say, requiring students to study philosophy for 12 years (which would actually be better). 

Although I appreciate anything that makes Baptists remember their historical roots:

In opposition to the bill, John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, said at the committee hearing that the organization has concerns about taxpayer money being used to buy religious texts and that parents, not schools, should be having conversations about religion with their children.

“I should have the right to introduce my daughter to the concepts of adultery and coveting one's spouse,” Litzler said. “It shouldn’t be one of the first things she learns to read in her kindergarten classroom.”

That's a man I could have a beer with.  Behind closed doors, of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment